Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happens then?

3 posters

Go down

What happens then? Empty What happens then?

Post by Dum8kid Sat May 07, 2011 12:52 pm

What happens when the entire world fills up with stuff? do you reset it? if you do is everyone out of luck with all they're hard work or are we some how compensated? just wondering for when the time comes seeing as the world has to fill up as some point.
Dum8kid
Dum8kid

Back to top Go down

What happens then? Empty Re: What happens then?

Post by SwanyZOMG Sat May 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Maps can be so big that I really don't think we'll have to worry about filling it up, especially since with the factions mod, one person can build in ten safe chunks of land. For there to be a space issue, I think the problem would come from paying for all of the memory and player support.

SwanyZOMG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dum8kid Sat May 07, 2011 1:23 pm

I can easily use more than 10 chunks right now i'm working on 20 chunks and no matter how big it is at some point it has to fill up the world is in fact limited. I'm not saying it will take a long time of course it will even with our ever expanding population but still at some point we'll run out of room and what do you do then?
Dum8kid
Dum8kid

Back to top Go down

Post by SwanyZOMG Sat May 07, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm saying that each person adds 10 plots to a faction, and anything outside of a faction can be griefed according to the rules, so it isn't safe to build in more than 10 plots. The maximum map size is eight times the surface area of the earth, so if all that space IS actually used, I'm guessing there would be a map reset. There has been a map reset before, and we kept our skills and were given a title equal to half of the coins we had build up as compensation.

SwanyZOMG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimsony Sat May 07, 2011 9:43 pm

There was a test done about 4 months ago partially in regards to this.

Each block of is in theory 1 meter by 1 meter by 1 meter. This gives us a measure of distance. On a high powered server (with the nether turned off), a group of individuals successfully explored an area that was eight times the circumference of the earth. The circumference of the earth is 6,374 kilometers, and eight times that is 50,992 km... in meters that's 50,992,000. And since there are 64 blocks above and 64 blocks below sea level, times the fifty million number by 128 (which is 6,526,976,000). Rounded, that's 6.5 billion possible blocks you can "build" something on. The reason they stopped at eight times is because the server was finally starting to experience memory allocation issues.

Given say 1,000 people on a server, the interaction ratio of people to number of blocks modified over time would give a result less than the expanding abilities of technology over time (as memory size and optimization grow bigger and better respectively) you would never ever run out of blocks to interact with. (Even as it is now, if I were to build a totally dedicated server with two terabytes of memory, I would theoretically be able to explore an area way greater than eight times the circumference of the earth).

However, if say theoretically you ran out of memory, then you have 1 of 2 options. Leave the server as is, and it would be "complete" (save for possibly upgrading existing structures and compounds) or yes, you would reset it to default and start all over again.

Tldr - It won't ever happen, don't worry about it!
Crimsony
Crimsony

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum